Module 1: Investigating number and pattern
Section 1: Learning through games
Key Focus Question: How can games help pupils learn basic number skills?
Keywords: games; group work; investigation; number skills
By the end of this section, you will have:
- developed ways to use games to raise interest in mathematics;
- used a range of games to help enhance mathematical understanding and number skills.
Using games in your classroom can enhance your pupils’ mathematical understanding and skills. These games can range from mental arithmetic games played with the whole class to more complex board games.
This section explores how games provide a cooperative way to stimulate interest and thinking about numbers.
By using local cultural games you help relate mathematics to pupils’ everyday lives.
- Module 1: Investigating Number and Pattern PDF version 1.5MB
- Module 1: Investigating Number and Pattern Word version (optimised for screen readers) 2.6MB
1. Using games to support mental maths