Module 1: Reading and writing for a range of purposes
Section 1: Supporting and assessing reading and writing
Key Focus Question: How can you support learning to read and write and assess progress?
Keywords: early literacy; songs; rhymes; environmental print; assessment; group work; shared reading
By the end of this section, you will have:
- used songs and rhymes to teach beginners to read;
- used ‘environmental print’ and grocery packaging to teach reading, writing and design;
- explored ways of supporting learning with group work;
- developed your ability to assess learning.
What should a successful reader and writer know and be able to do? As a teacher, you need to be able to answer this question so that you can guide your pupils. Learning to read and write successfully takes practice. Therefore, it is important to use a variety of approaches and activities that will keep pupils interested. It is also important to assess pupils’ progress and to ask yourself whether you are meeting their needs. This section explores these ideas as it looks at early literacy.
- Module 1: Reading and writing for a range of purposes PDF version 1.1MB
- Module 1: Reading and writing for a range of purposes Word version (optimised for screen readers) 2MB
1. Using songs and rhymes