from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life In Cold Blood: The Cold-Blooded TruthMonday, 3rd August 2015 09:00 - EdenTake a closer look at these fascinating creatures - and watch some extraordinary clips. Read more: Life In Cold Blood: The Cold-Blooded Truth
A History of Ideas: How can I know anything at all?Monday, 3rd August 2015 12:04 - BBC Radio 4
Life In Cold Blood: The Cold-Blooded TruthMonday, 3rd August 2015 15:00 - Eden
Life In Cold Blood: The Cold-Blooded TruthMonday, 3rd August 2015 20:00 - Eden
OU on the BBC- Wanted: A Very Personal Assistant: Episode TwoAvailable until Thursday, 3rd September 2015 02:55Pushed further out of their comfort zones, how will our new carers cope? Read more: OU on the BBC- Wanted: A Very Personal Assistant: Episode Two
A History of Ideas: Writer Lisa Appignanesi on the Love of ChildrenAvailable for over a year
The Met: Policing London: Episode FiveAvailable until Friday, 7th August 2015 01:50
A History of Ideas: Psychotherapist Mark Vernon on FreudAvailable for over a year
The first geological map of the UKOne of the most important maps of the UK ever made – described as the ‘Magna Carta of geology’ –... Read more: The first geological map of the UK
OpenLearn Live: 3rd August 2015Bringing you the best of free learning, research and analysis from across OpenLearn and around... Read more: OpenLearn Live: 3rd August 2015
Beginners’ Italian: food and drinkThis free course, Beginners’ Italian: food and drink, focuses on buying drinks and snacks in an... Try: Beginners’ Italian: food and drink now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
Numbers, units and arithmetic
Do fractions and decimals make you apprehensive about maths? Do you lack confidence in...
Do fractions and decimals make you apprehensive about maths? Do you lack confidence in dealing with numbers? If so, then this free course, Numbers, units and arithmetic, is for you. The course will explain the basics of working with positive and negative numbers and how to multiply and divide with fractions and decimals.
After studying this course you should be able to:
- write whole numbers and decimals in place-value columns and compare their sizes
- multiply and divide whole numbers and decimals by 10, 100, 1000 and so on
- indicate given fractions on a diagram and find equivalent fractions for a given fraction
- mark numbers on a number line
- choose appropriate units for a given purpose
- convert between different metric units and different time units
- perform, without a calculator, calculations involving: brackets, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers, decimals, simple fractions and negative numbers
- describe in words the arithmetic processes that you use.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 The size of numbers
- 1.2 Whole numbers
- 1.3 Using the place value
- 1.4 Number lines
- 1.5 Decimals
- 1.6 Decimals and place value
- 1.7 Fractions
- 1.8 Simplest form of a fraction
- 1.9 Negative numbers
- 2 Units of measurement
- 3 Arithmetic
- 3.1 Arithmetic with whole numbers
- 3.2 Multiplying and dividing
- 3.3 Division
- 3.4 Order of calculations
- 3.5 Several calculations and using brackets
- 3.6 Arithmetic with decimals
- 3.10 More difficult fraction sums
- 3.11 Multiplication of fractions
- 3.13 More division with fractions
- 3.14 Mixed numbers
- 3.15 Arithmetic with negative numbers
- 3.16 Addition of negative numbers
- 3.17 Subtraction of negative numbers
- 4 OpenMark quiz
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
Numbers, units and arithmetic
This free course, Numbers, units and arithmetic, will help you to revise whole numbers, decimals and fractions, both positive and negative. You should know when and how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Although you may have a calculator, you still need to do simple calculations in your head or on paper. Such calculations could be to estimate the size of an answer, as a check for your calculator work.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of Level 1 study in.
The Open University is conducting a survey investigating how people use the free educational content on our OpenLearn website. The aim is to provide a better free learning experience for everyone. So if you have 10 minutes to spare, we’d be delighted if you could take part and tell us what you think
Please note this will take you out of OpenLearn, we suggest you open this in a new tab by right clicking on the link and choosing ‘Open Link in new Tab’.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Mathematics Education courses or view the range of currently available OU Mathematics Education courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Wednesday, 29th April 2015
Last updated on: Wednesday, 29th April 2015
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Mathematics Education
- Latest pages tagged - Arit
- Latest pages tagged - basic math
- Latest pages tagged - arithmetic
- Latest pages tagged - expotential notation
- Latest pages tagged - m363
- Latest pages tagged - Maths
- Latest pages tagged - mu123 Learning Club
- Latest pages tagged - numbers
- Latest pages tagged - pre course work
- Latest pages tagged - Units
- Latest pages tagged - using maths
- Latest pages tagged - MU120_4M1
- Latest comments on this page