The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Rosetta's comet touchdown finaleThursday, 29th September 2016 16:30 - BBC Radio 4The ESA's Rosetta mission is about to finish so Adam Rutherford looks at how the crash will happen. Read more: BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Rosetta's comet touchdown finale
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: TheresanomicsAvailable for over a yearTheresa May wants a bigger role for government in business. Will it happen? Can it work? Read more: The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: Theresanomics
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016Evan Davis hosts the business conversation show with people at the top giving insight into what... Read more: The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital worldThis free course, Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital world, will develop your confidence... Try: Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital world now
Introduction to bookkeeping and accountingLearn about the essential numerical skills required for accounting and bookkeeping. This free... Try: Introduction to bookkeeping and accounting now
Do fractions and decimals make you apprehensive about maths? Do you lack confidence in dealing with numbers? If so, then this free course, Numbers, courses and arithmetic, is for you. The course will explain the basics of working with positive and negative numbers and how to multiply and divide with fractions and decimals.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- write whole numbers and decimals in place-value columns and compare their sizes
- multiply and divide whole numbers and decimals by 10, 100, 1000 and so on
- indicate given fractions on a diagram and find equivalent fractions for a given fraction
- mark numbers on a number line
- choose appropriate units for a given purpose.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 The size of numbers
- 1.2 Whole numbers
- 1.3 Using the place value
- 1.4 Number lines
- 1.5 Decimals
- 1.6 Decimals and place value
- 1.7 Fractions
- 1.8 Simplest form of a fraction
- 1.9 Negative numbers
- 2 Units of measurement
- 3 Arithmetic
- 3.1 Arithmetic with whole numbers
- 3.2 Multiplying and dividing
- 3.3 Division
- 3.4 Order of calculations
- 3.5 Several calculations and using brackets
- 3.6 Arithmetic with decimals
- 3.10 More difficult fraction sums
- 3.11 Multiplication of fractions
- 3.13 More division with fractions
- 3.14 Mixed numbers
- 3.15 Arithmetic with negative numbers
- 3.16 Addition of negative numbers
- 3.17 Subtraction of negative numbers
- 4 OpenMark quiz
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Numbers, units and arithmetic
This free course, Numbers, units and arithmetic, will help you to revise whole numbers, decimals and fractions, both positive and negative. You should know when and how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Although you may have a calculator, you still need to do simple calculations in your head or on paper. Such calculations could be to estimate the size of an answer, as a check for your calculator work.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of level 1 study in.
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Mathematics Education courses or view the range of currently available OU Mathematics Education courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Wednesday, 16th March 2016
Last updated on: Wednesday, 16th March 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Mathematics Education
- Latest pages tagged - MU120_4M1
- Latest pages tagged - Arit
- Latest pages tagged - basic math
- Latest pages tagged - arithmetic
- Latest pages tagged - expotential notation
- Latest pages tagged - mu123 Learning Club
- Latest pages tagged - numbers
- Latest pages tagged - pre-course work
- Latest pages tagged - Units
- Latest pages tagged - using maths
- Latest pages tagged - skills for study: maths and data
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (2.5 MB)
- PDF (3.6 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (1.7 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.7 MB)
- Kindle (933 KB)
- RSS (566 KB)
- HTML (1.9 MB)
- SCORM (1.9 MB)
- OUXML Package (39 KB)
- OUXML File (198 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.