My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Exploring communications technology
This free course, Exploring communications technology, looks at some of the principles underpinning communications technology. It looks at the properties of signals and media (such as optical fibre and radio waves), error control, data compression, and the principles of 4G mobile communications, wi-fi and DSL broadband.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the principles of, and reasons for, carrier-wave modulation, and its application to Quadrature Amplitude Modulation
- demonstrate an understanding of the roles of error detection and error correction, and be able to perform calculations involving checkeck digits and coding rates
- demonstrate an understanding of the basic techniques of perceptual coding and the reasons for their use
- demonstrate an understanding of how the use of multiple OFDM subchannels enables efficient use of communications channels in mobile communications, broadband and wifi.
First Published: 22/03/2017
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Signals and modulation
- 2 Error control
- 3 Perceptual source-coding and lossy compression
- 4 Broadband, mobile and WiFi
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of Participation
On completion of a course you will earn a Statement of Participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions377 and our FAQs378.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
If you are new to University-level study, we offer two introductory routes to our qualifications. You could either choose to start with an Access module, or a module which allows you to count your previous learning towards an Open University qualification. Read our guide on Where to take your learning next for more information.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
10 hours study
Level 2: Intermediate
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.