from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
- Monday 12:04, BBC Radio 4, A History of Ideas - How can I tell right from wrong?
- Monday 12:04, BBC Radio 4, A History of Ideas
- Tuesday 12:04, BBC Radio 4, A History of Ideas - Moral character
- Tuesday 12:04, BBC Radio 4, A History of Ideas - Morality and the brain
- Tuesday 12:04, BBC Radio 4, A History of Ideas
Croeso: Beginners' Welsh
This unit is taken from Croeso, a beginners’ language course that concentrates on Welsh...
This unit is taken from Croeso, a beginners’ language course that concentrates on Welsh as a tool for communication, but it also provides some insights into Welsh societies and cultures through printed and audio materials. It will be of interest to all those who want to improve their language skills in order to communicate more easily and effectively in Welsh. This unit focuses on basic greetings and introductions, numbers and days of the week. By the end of this unit you will have gained confidence in communicating in Welsh, and you will be able to understand language used by speakers from different areas of Wales. You will develop the four language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in Welsh.
By the end of this unit you should know:
- how to greet people and introduce yourself in Welsh;
- numbers 0-10;
- days of the week;
- how to exchange basic personal information.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Croeso i'r Gymraeg! Welcome to Welsh!
- 2 Sesiwn 2
- 3 Sesiwn 3
- 4 Sesiwn 4
- 5 Additional reading/writing practice
Croeso: beginners' Welsh
Welsh is a direct descendant of the Celtic language which was spoken in Britain before, during and after the Roman occupation. It is Britain’s oldest spoken language, and possesses a rich cultural history. Closely related to Breton and Cornish, and more distantly to Irish, Manx and Scots Gaelic, it is today spoken by almost 600,000 people in Wales, some 20 per cent of the population.
Croeso is The Open University's beginners' course in Welsh and will give you a solid grounding in the basics of the language.
This unit is an adapted extract from the Open University course