This free course, Getting started on ancient Greek, offers a taster of the ancient Greek world through the study of one of its most distinctive and enduring features: its language.
The course approaches the language methodically, starting with the alphabet and effective ways to memorise it, before building up to complete Greek words and sentences. Along the way, you will see numerous real examples of Greek as written on objects from the ancient world.
If you're wondering why study an ancient language, here are four reasons:
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- read the letters of the ancient Greek alphabet
- recall a small set of ancient Greek words and their meanings in English
- read and understand simple sentences in ancient Greek
- understand some of the historical and geographical context of ancient Greek
- feel more confident about embarking on independent study of ancient Greek.
First Published: 22/11/2021