5.3 Audio activities
Listen to the audio below and then complete the activity.
Audio 2 (Round table discussion)
In this audio, four authors (Graham Day, Sandra Betts, Neil Evans and Andrew Edwards) discuss difference in contemporary Wales with Hugh Mackay.
Transcript: Audio 2 (Round table discussion)
Listen to the audio all the way through once, then listen to it again and note the areas of difference that are discussed. When you have done this, compare your notes with the discussion below.
Areas discussed include:
- differences from England (including different government policies that offer more state provision in Wales)
- north–south differences
- differences between Cardiff and the rest of Wales
- very local differences, e.g. rivalries between different valleys and even different villages in the same valley
- differences in the same geographical space
- differences (rather than similarities) in patterns of mass-media consumption.
- differences over time, e.g. use of Welsh language or employment patterns
- differences that we are comfortable with versus those that mean opposition or conflict.