This free course has provided you with an explanation of what endurance is, how to train it effectively and the optimal method of distributing training intensity across a programme. The course has also helped you to identify dominant themes in research. The main points covered were:
- VO2 max, lactate threshold, exercise economy and anaerobic power are all key determinants of endurance performance.
- Pace/tempo training, interval training, high-intensity interval training and Fartlek training will create beneficial adaptations for all determinants of endurance performance depending on the intensity and duration of exercise.
- Resistance training for endurance athletes should focus on developing strength and power rather than endurance.
- Polarised training is more effective than threshold training at enhancing endurance performance.
- It is the trainer’s responsibility to understand the underpinning science of each technique/model to determine the most appropriate one for your individual athlete.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.