My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Companies and financial accounting
This free course, Companies and financial
accounting, introduces you to the legal characteristics of limited companies and how limited companies raise finance through ordinary shares and loan capital. It also introduces the interests of company stakeholders, and looks at three different perspectives
on companies and their role in society. Finally, it introduces the formats of company financial statements in comparison with those of sole traders.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course B293 Financial accounting in context.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the legal characteristics of limited companies and how these characteristics are different from those of sole traders and partnerships
- understand company financing through share capital and loan capital
- understand the interests and information needs of different company stakeholders
- explain three different perspectives on the role of companies in society
- understand and reproduce company financial statement formats and explain how and why they are different from sole trader financial statements.
First Published: 30/10/2020
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Legal forms of business entity
- 1 Legal forms of business entity
- 1.1 Sole traders
- 1.2 Partnerships
- 1.3 Companies limited by shares
- 1.4 The legal characteristics of the modern corporation
- 2 The market environment and sources of company finance
- 3 The interests and information requirements of company stakeholders
- 4 Three perspectives on the role of companies and financial reporting in society
- 5 Comparing sole trader and company financial statement formats
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of Participation
On completion of a course you will earn a Statement of Participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
6 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.