My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Working in groups and teams
This free course, Working in groups and teams, explores team working from start to finish. It looks at how successful teams are created, roles within a team, the life cycle of a team, how to manage conflict within teams and evaluating team performance.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- recognise the difference between groups and teams and understand when each is more appropriate
- understand issues in team constitution (team roles)
- identify the different stages of team development and how a manager can support the team at each stage
- understand and identify team processes (inputs, throughputs and outputs) and the manager’s role
- understand and manage conflict.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Working in groups and teams
- 2 Creating successful teams: A holistic view
- 3 Team roles
- 4 The life cycle of a team
- 5 Managing team processes
- 6 Managing conflict
- 7 Reviewing and evaluating team performance
- 8 Modern forms of groups and teams
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
8 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Become an OU student
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.