The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life - with David Attenborough: Creatures of the DeepTuesday, 31st May 2016 09:00 - EdenLife under the waves. Read more: Life - with David Attenborough: Creatures of the Deep
Life - with David Attenborough: PlantsTuesday, 31st May 2016 10:00 - Eden
Life - with David Attenborough: PrimatesTuesday, 31st May 2016 11:00 - Eden
Life - with David Attenborough: Creatures of the DeepTuesday, 31st May 2016 16:00 - Eden
The Educators: Series 2: What Finland Did NextAvailable for over a yearFinland has one of the highest-performing education systems in the world, yet it is overhauling the way schools teach... Read more: The Educators: Series 2: What Finland Did Next
The Educators: Series 2: Character LessonsAvailable for over a year
Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageantsAvailable for over a year
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3Available until Sunday, 26th June 2016 20:00
Life - with David AttenboroughDavid Attenborough explores the vibrant mix of life found on our plant - where it comes from, and... Read more: Life - with David Attenborough
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Una lengua en movimientoThis free course will develop your knowledge and understanding of the societies and cultures of... Try: Una lengua en movimiento now
English: skills for learningEnglish: skills for learning, is a free course for anybody who is thinking of studying for a... Try: English: skills for learning now
This free course, Working in groups and teams, explores team working from start to finish. It looks at how successful teams are created, roles within a team, the life cycle of a team, how to manage conflict within teams and evaluating team performance.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- recognise the difference between groups and teams and understand when each is more appropriate
- understand issues in team constitution (team roles)
- identify the different stages of team development and how a manager can support the team at each stage
- understand and identify team processes (inputs, throughputs and outputs) and the manager’s role
- understand and manage conflict.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Working in groups and teams
- 2 Creating successful teams: A holistic view
- 3 Team roles
- 4 The life cycle of a team
- 5 Managing team processes
- 6 Managing conflict
- 7 Reviewing and evaluating team performance
- 8 Modern forms of groups and teams
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Working in groups and teams
Being able to work with people so that the right things happen is a core management skill. Managing people effectively perhaps demands most of managers when individuals come together to work in a group or in a team, which requires leadership as well as facilitating and overseeing group and team working, and managing conflict. This week we explore team working from start to finish. This includes deciding if the creation of a group or team is the best approach to the task in hand (it is not always!), selecting individuals to work in it, setting up the team-working processes, supporting teams through the different stages of development, reviewing progress and evaluating team outputs. The main activity involves problem-solving, based on a current situation with a team or group that you manage or with which you are familiar.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of postgraduate study in
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Wednesday, 22nd June 2011
Last updated on: Tuesday, 16th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Leadership and Management
- Latest pages tagged - print
- Latest pages tagged - Donate
- Latest pages tagged - Curiosity
- Latest pages tagged - time dilation
- Latest pages tagged - length contraction
- Latest pages tagged - B628_2
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (828 KB)
- PDF (1.7 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (556 KB)
- ePub 2.0 (557 KB)
- Kindle (404 KB)
- RSS (296 KB)
- HTML (811 KB)
- SCORM (806 KB)
- OUXML Package (37 KB)
- OUXML File (118 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (661 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.