9.3 Making recommendations
The point of conducting a case study analysis by using a framework such as SWOT is to find ways of addressing issues or problems in organisations. This also means thinking critically about issues and coming up with convincing recommendations. The ability to do so enhances your professional communication skills.
In this final activity for this course, you’re going to look at the recommendations that Michael has made in the final paragraph of his analysis.
Final paragraph of Michael’s text
In conclusion, Brompton needs to take advantage of the opportunities in front of it. There is an opportunity for international growth, however, this needs to be managed correctly. With this in mind, it would be prudent to recruit the experience of a director for international growth to help focus and manage this expansion. Brompton needs to agree a research and development budget to improve quality and further refine manufacturing processes. Developing an online presence through blogs and web sites could help increase Brompton’s marketing ability and provide a conduit for sales through ecommerce.
- How many recommendations did Michael make?
- How did using a SWOT framework enable Michael to think through the issues posed by the business environment and come to the point where he was able to make recommendations?
- What do you think of these recommendations in terms of business improvement?
- Michael makes five recommendations:
- take advantage of opportunity for international growth
- manage this correctly – recruit a director for this
- agree a R&D budget and refine manufacturing process
- increase online presence: blogs/websites
- develop sales through ecommerce.
- The SWOT analysis helped Michael to pick out certain relevant information, and leave out the points that are less relevant to the company in terms of what it should do next. It gave focus and clarity to his thinking. The SWOT analysis also helped him to organise his thinking and therefore his text in a very clear way. Michael was able to structure his answer into the four key sections of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats and then write his recommendations for a strategy based on relevant evidence.
- Your view of these recommendations will depend on how much you know about this area of business. They seem to be logical recommendations based on the information in the text. This is because the company seems ready to grow and these actions are the first steps towards that goal. You may feel that you do not have enough knowledge to make recommendations based on one text, but it is a good idea to develop the habit of thinking things through for yourself and formulating ideas and suggestions based on SWOT analyses, as this is a key expectation when you are studying business and management.