7.3 Overview of Learning
Now you have completed Part 1 of the diagnostic assessment training, you will hopefully feel you have a better understanding of the following:
Personal Professional Development
- A more in depth understanding about the stages of thinking that pupils move through in relation to addition and subtraction (including their connection with Early Level through to the beginning of Third Level).
- A more in depth understanding about the strategies that pupils use and their effectiveness (depending on the numbers).
Use of the Diagnostic Assessments:
- A more in depth understanding of how to use the addition and subtraction diagnostic assessments including:
- recording (pupils' strategies and general observations)
- scoring (using the optional scoring system)
- levelling (providing an overall level judgement)
- An awareness of how to use the coding sheet and the response and level guidance.
- An awareness of how to analyse the results of the assessments.
- An awareness of how to decide on next steps for a pupil and where appropriate use the Highland Numeracy Progression to support next steps.