Understanding students’ backgrounds
A school leader in a rural school talks about the importance of establishing an understanding of each student’s background and recognising the impact this may have on their learning and attendance. Although she cannot change the demands on her students to help with harvesting, she can work with them and their parents to minimise the impact of these responsibilities on their learning. In this way, she has managed to improve school attendance.
How much do you know about the factors that impact on your students’ learning? What student issues might you tackle if you had more information about them?
- Download: transcript/video.
- We welcome your thoughts on this video. Please share them on YouTube.
- You may also want to read TESS-India’s School Leadership OER.
Related TESS-India School Leadership OER:
- Perspective on leadership: using data on diversity to improve your school
- Transforming teaching-learning process: promoting inclusion in your school
- Leading partnerships: engaging with parents and the wider school community
Related TESS-India Key Resource: