TI-AIE: Reading for information
What this unit is about
In this unit you will explore ways of helping your students develop effective skills to read for information. By incorporating texts from a range of subject areas into your language and literacy classroom, you will support your students’ active reading across all areas of the curriculum.
You will be introduced to a number of activities that are suitable for students from Class V upwards. These include an ‘anticipation guide’ to prepare students to read unfamiliar or challenging texts, a list of features that can support them in locating the key points in curriculum subject texts, and a table that can be used to distinguish the importance of the ideas in a passage. The unit also encourages you to monitor your students’ progress and adjust your teaching accordingly.
Reading and understanding information is a key life skill that will make a significant difference to your students’ success in school and beyond. Your role in teaching them a range of strategies to read different types of information-based texts is therefore vital, particularly if they have few opportunities to read outside school.
- Reading for information Ebook (EPUB) 197.2KB
- Reading for information HTML Zip file 722.1KB
- Reading for information IMS Common Cartridge 720.6KB
- Reading for information Interactive ebook (EPUB) 196.7KB
- Reading for information Kindle ebook 386.2KB
- Reading for information OU XML Package 18.4KB
- Reading for information OU XML file 72KB
- Reading for information PDF version of web pages 259.9KB
- Reading for information RSS 140KB
- Reading for information SCORM 720.7KB
- Reading for information Word version (optimised for screen readers) 412.5KB
What you can learn in this unit