Resource 1: NCF/NCFTE teaching requirements
This unit links to the following teaching requirements of the NCF (2005) and NCFTE (2009), and will help you to meet those requirements:
- View students as active participants in their own learning and not as mere recipients of knowledge; to encourage their capacity to construct knowledge; to ensure that learning shifts away from ‘rote’ methods.
- View learning as a search for meaning from personal experience and knowledge generation as a continuously evolving process of reflective learning.
- Support students to learn to enjoy mathematics rather than fear it.
- Help students to see mathematics as something to talk about, to communicate through, to discuss among themselves, and to work together on.
- Connect school knowledge with community knowledge and life outside school.