- Gillis, C. (1991) The Community as Classroom: Integrating School and Community Through Language Arts. Portsmouth, NH: . This activity-filled book suggests ways that students can develop their language skills through community-based learning experiences.
- Kenner, C. (2000) Home Pages: Literacy Links for Bilingual Children. London: Trentham Books.
- National Council of Teachers in English (NCTE) (undated) ‘Supporting linguistically and culturally diverse learners in English education’ (online). Available from: http://www.ncte.org/ cee/ positions/ diverselearnersinee.
- Prior, J. and Gerard, M.R. (2004) Environmental Print in the Classroom: Meaningful Connections for Learning to Read. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Siegel, M. (2006) ‘Rereading the signs: multimodal transformations in the field of literacy education’, Language Arts, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 65–77.
- Moll, L.C., Amanti, C., Neff, D. and Gonzalez, N. (1992). ‘Funds of knowledge for teaching: using a qualitative approach to connect homes and classrooms’, Theory into Practice, no. 31, pp. 132–41.
- Azim Premji Foundation’s research studies: http://www.azimpremjifoundation.org/ Research_Studies