Resource 1: The fundamental duties of citizens in India
It shall be the duty of every citizen of India:
- a.To abide by the Constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the National Flag and the National Anthem.
- b.To cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle for freedom;
- c.To uphold and protect the Sovereignty, unity and integrity of India;
- d.To defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so;
- e.To promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities; to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women;
- f.To value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture;
- g.To protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wild life, and to have compassion for living creatures;
- h.To develop the scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform.
- i.To safeguard public property and to abjure violence;
- j.To strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity, so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavour and achievement